Sunday, January 08, 2012

Kodak RIP?



The Demise of Kodak.
If you had told me 5 years ago that Kodak would be filing for bankruptcy I would have thought you a fool, however this week I'm not the slightest bit surprised. Technology has moved on and even though Kodak were the company that brought photography to the masses they failed to capture that market in the digital age. So what could they have done to prevent a 90% drop in their share worth in the last year. I don't know the answers maybe the fact that more photos are taken with phones than any other type of camera these days or how few images are ever printed. What I do believe though is it's a shame that there is a high possibility that a brand that was once synonymous with everyday photography and the "snap shot" may well disappear. Keep up or get left behind, its a jungle out there, Woolworth's anyone?

The day after I originally posted this Slashdot.org has an interesting post claiming "Camera Phones Not To Blame" for Kodak's imminent demise, but the way we take photos and how we share them with the lack of film sales. Doh! That's a no brainer, why am I not surprised? Kodak used the Gillette business model selling not camera hardware but film (software). Where have I seen that played out before? Oh yeah the PC industry, how many PC hardware vendors have we seen go to the wall? Software makes the money folks! Microsoft anyone?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home